VIEW FULL BROCHURE HERE
Explore the unique beauty and amazing attractions of this iconic and historic east-west trade route, combined with an in-depth exploration of Tibet – ‘Rooftop of the World’. From the ancient imperial capital of Xian in China’s mid-west, you visit the imposing fortress at the western terminus of the 6000km Great Wall, and the UNESCO protected Mogao Grottoes, site of the world’s greatest Buddhist cave murals and statuary. In Turpan, you’ll see the operations of a 2000 year old irrigation system featuring 5000kms of underground waterways which transform this Gobi Desert depression into a brilliant oasis of vineyards and market gardens.
Upon arrival in Tibet, the tour spends a week observing and experiencing the unique cultural lifestyles of the semi-nomadic Tibetan people – visiting their homes, walking through their villages and observing monastic life. In Lhasa, the capital of Tibet, you’ll tour the iconic Potala Palace and world famous Barkhor Square providing an authentic window into the colourful Tibetan past.
• Xian – Ancient ‘Changan’, historic centre of Chinese Civilisation – Capital of ancient China for 1100 years
• Jiayuguan – Spectacular Ming Dynasty Fortress at the Western extremity of the Great Wall
• Dunhuang – China’s most significant capital of Buddhist Art
• Turpan – World famous oasis in the Gobi Desert
• Urumqi – Further place in the world from an ocean (2250kms)
• Kashgar – Exotic remote outpost, historic focal point of Old Chinese Turkestan
• Xining – One of China’s mysterious cities, on the 2260 metre northern edge of the Tibetan Plateau
CLICK HERE TO SEE OTHER EXCLUSIVE SMALL GROUP ESCORTED TOURS