INTRIGUING CULTURAL CRUISE
From the era of the Mongol Golden Horde to the more recent Soviet era, the scenic communities of
the grand Volga have been witness to some of the most significant events in Russian history.
Cruise through dozens of huge locks and reservoirs, past quaint farming villages and magnificent rural landscapes, discover iconic onion-domed churches, stroll through medieval gems like Nizhniy Novgorod, explore the treasures of the Volga’s oldest city, visit the world capital of caviar, experience diverse ethnic musical traditions at lively folk music performances, explore Volvograd (formerly Stalingrad) the site of the decisive eastern front battle of WW2, stand in Moscow’s Red Square and visit the heart of the famous Kremlin. All this and much more, as you discover a special part of our planet, off the beaten track in Southern Russia.
There is no other river cruise quite like the Volga River Cruise. No cruise that places you so completely in another place and time. Europe’s longest and largest river stretches from Ivan the Terrible, to Peter the Great, Catherine the Great, and on to contemporary Russia. The country’s central artery looks much like it always has – orthodox churches, charismatic villages, and people comprising scenes similar to an old painting you may swear you have seen in a gallery. The boutique Volga Dream (just 100m long) offers a touch of elegance, even luxury. With 60 crew and just 100 passengers, Tsarist era comfort, the latest technology, and superior service, this ship is in a class of its own on the Russian waterways. You’ll find no hassles disembarking at ports of call, and no delays at meal times. Cruising the iconic Volga offers exquisite experiences as you explore the hauntingly beautiful regions of this enigmatic country, enhanced by an on-board history and culture lecture program.
• Astrakhan – Tour of Astrakhan fortress, built in the reign of Ivan the Terrible
• Volgograd (ex Stalingrad) – Visit the important sites of the WWII decisive Eastern Front battle
• Saratov – Celebrate hometown of Yuri Gagarin, Russia’s first cosmonaut
• Samara – Visits to the Space Museum & Volga River barbeque on the open deck
• Kazan – Exploration of this centre of Tartar culture, capital of Tartastan
• Learn of Nizhniy Novgorod (ex Gorkiy)’s history as a place of exile for political prisoners
• Yaroslavl – Explore the oldest of Volga River towns, UNESCO World Heritage & visit spectacular Spassky monastery
• Uglich – Visit a 17th century treasure, the Chapel of Dmitry on the Spilt Blood
• Moscow – Visit magnificent Red Square, Lenin’s tomb St Basil’s cathedral
BOOK EARLY TO SECURE YOUR CABIN CHOICE
seize this rare opportunity!
Airport arrival/departure transfer in Moscow and Astrakhan, accommodation on board MS Volga Dream, all meals & complementary house wine and soft drink with lunch and dinner on board MS Volga Dream, daily sightseeing program in groups of maximum 25 Volgo Dream guests as outlined in the itinerary, over 25 hours of Russian Workshop (lectures, discussions, classes, concerts, film & performances), 24-hour coffee Station with complementary tea, coffee and snacks on board, Ms Volgo Dream welcome fruit basket on board MS Volga Dream, bottled water supply replenished daily, all port charges and local taxes.